We live in a world where communication is almost instant, word travels extremely fast, and if you’re not watchful your online reputation can be trashed in nanoseconds. Many aren’t cognisant how vital it is to safeguard your online reputation. Cone Communications reports that some 89 percent of consumers regard online channels are trustworthy sources, and that another 80 percent have gone so far as to change their mind about a purchase after reading a negative comment or review. Further, your social media is where they’re talking about you. The Society for Communications Research reports that 72 percent said they research companies through social channels prior to making purchases, and that 59% use social sites to air their frustrations about your customer service.
5 Quick Suggestions to protect your online reputation
- Monitor your online reputation – Monitor what folks are saying about you and your company name by Googling them no less than once a month. Use Google alerts and be alerted when there are any postings about you or the brand.
- Lay claim to your online property – A person who is intent on doing you or your business harm can do a lot with your name. Make sure to buy your company’s domain name, and your personal one, and prevent at least having them show up in Google thanks to an exact match name.
- Be hands-on on your social sites – Like your domain name, claim any Facebook, Google or LinkedIn pages that bear your name. Not only that, make it a point to use them regularly.
- Deal with any negative content quickly – Do your very best to take care of negative postings and complaints expeditiously. Try hard to contact the poster directly, offline when possible, and see if you’re able to handle their concerns. DON’T get in to a flaming match online. You’ll be the loser.
- Be careful what you put online – Those lovely pictures of you and the staff partying hard are not exactly what you want to show up in a business context.
We live in a fast-paced, information driven world. Be sure you’re on top of it to properly manage your online reputation!